Compost Classes - Our next basic composting class will be in on May 5th. The class will be at Coram Deo Academy on Wichita Trail. This class is not the full Master Composter class but it will provide you with enough information to go out and start your own backyard compost with confidence. Register here.
For more information call us at: 469-828-9074. Or e-mail us at: email@example.com
DOG WASTE COMPOSTING -
Instead of placing dog waste into a plastic bag that will take 1,000 years to degrade, or using valuable water to flush it down the toilet, consider setting up a dog waste composter. For step by step instructions with pictures, go to the following website:
The instructions without the photos are:
- Use an old garbage bin with a lid or if your dog is smaller use a 5 gallon container with a lid.
- Drill holes in the sides
- Cut out the bottom of the container/trash bin
- Dig a hole in the ground where your would like to place the container
- Place rocks into the hole for drainage
- Place the bin in the hole, allowing for the lid to still be placed on the top
- When you place dog waste in the hole you can add a septic starter and water.
This waste biodegrades and flows into the subsoil. It is not used as compost in garden beds. "Collect the dog waste and drop it into the hole. Sprinkle a packet of septic tank starter on top of the dog doo and add a litre or so of water. Cover the hole with the lid. Within 48 hours, the septic tank starter, which is non-caustic, and promotes natural bacterial growth will have begun its work and you can add more dog waste. You can then begin to add it daily."
Please do not hesitate to call us or email us at KFMB if you have questions. We have tried it and it does work!